Friday, October 24, 2008

Marathon Surgery

We got in to the mission early this morning. There’s a wonderful breeze cooling things off as October finally sets in here in the Caribbean.

An American orthopedic and general surgery team is visiting the mission for another couple of days, so I spent the afternoon photographing the long line of cases they were taking care of. From a spinal surgery on a baby with spina bifida, to correcting a girl’s club feet, to correcting hernias and even sewing a child a new belly button – it’s amazing what these teams are capable of.

I talked to one surgeon who expressed how hard these kinds of trips can be, performing dozens of surgeries but not being able to stay long enough to provide comprehensive follow-up care. The permanent American and Haitian staff at our clinic will take great care of them, but there’s no substitute for having a surgeon around.

I’m always astounded by the deep needs in the community the mission serves, and its reputation elsewhere. I met a mother today whose daughter was suffering from severe malnutrition. They walked for 15 days from the other side of Port-au-Prince to get here for care. Hard to believe, even as I write it…

Some scenes from surgery recovery today:







Andy Olsen photos

1 comment:

Amber said...

Andy and Erika,

I am glad you made it to Haiti safely. I just want you to know that I am praying for you while you are there. Thanks for bringing me a fresh glimpse of Haiti.