



Above: A few more portraits from yesterday, some clinic shots, and a baby photo, for good measure.
I'm heading back out west in a few minutes, just waiting for a truck to finish some repairs. Erika will be staying here at the mission to help interpret for some Spanish-speaking medical staff here (I'm sure she'll post more on that later). I'll be spending some time with a Haitian family that raises goats gifted to them by the mission and will be shooting more portraits at a market out there. At least that's the plan, which almost always changes in Haiti...
We spent most of yesterday shooting at the mission clinic here in St. Louis. I watched some pretty graphic treatments (at least, graphic for what my stomach can handle). Third-world health care is legendary just about anywhere, and Haiti is no different. Even at a mission where above-par care is available, procedures that would seem simple in the States are anything but.
We also spent a bit more of the day in the baby orphanage, just to round out our images.
A humorous side note: Some things in life can happen to anyone, anywhere -- they are almost universal to the human experience. It just so happens that I was in Haiti yesterday when a baby decided to soil itself all over me. It was funny because I don't often pick up the babies as I usually have cameras in my hands, so it happened one of the few times I did pick one up.
That's about all the time I've got, so Erika will post more a bit later. I'll be back at the mission on Friday night.
No comments:
Post a Comment