Monday, July 13, 2009

A Long Absence



Above: Cape Enrage, New Brunswick, has been dubbed the best view in Canada. Shot with Canon 5D MkII, 17-35mm f11, stitched panorama. (Click to enlarge)





Above (2): The Bay of Fundy is home to the highest tide in the world. As the sun and the moon wrestle each other for control over a thin, continent-sized sheet of water sitting atop the Atlantic, the tide in Fundy can rise and fall as much as 50 feet in a day. At Hopewell Rocks in New Brunswick, the water recedes to reveal something like a soggy Stonehenge, sandstone towers perched at the edge of mile-wide mudflats. Shot with Canon 5D MkII, 17-35mm f5.6, stitched panoramas. (Click to enlarge)

---

A number of people have commented that it's been too long since I've posted anything, and so here I am returning to feeding the blogosphere beast.

Erika and I have been thoroughly distracted this summer with a number of weddings and home-improvement projects. But mostly, I've spent far too many long hours working with a team of people on a new website for Northwest Haiti Christian Mission. Any of you who are web developers know just how complicated (and painstaking) it can be coordinating a number of parties and interests to build a content-intensive website. And any of you in the nonprofit world know how much work it can be to slog through the red tape of online donor management and child sponsorship management.

Fortunately, the nearly year-long project is almost finished, and I'm really excited about the storytelling potential of the new website for the mission. I'll fully admit my involvement is partly self-serving. Ordinarily I wouldn't have much interest in investing so much energy in a website, because I've never seen myself as much of a website guy. But I believe in the possibilities this website will open up for disseminating photo, video and multimedia projects in new ways, and thus I believe it has been well worth my time. I believe in the power of storytelling to change lives and propel ministry, and this will hopefully be a valuable tool to that end.

It's not all been easy or fun, of course. But we're wrapping up a fantastic two-week trip in Maine and New Brunswick to visit family, and I think my wits are finally returning. There are places where remoteness and isolation wrap you up like an old sweatshirt, make you feel safe. This is such a place.

More to come soon.

3 comments:

Amber said...

YAY!!! I am soooo glad you are feeding the blogosphere again

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere! Sounds like you guys had a great trip up north.

(This is Rachael, it wouldn't let me sign in with my blog addy for some reason so I had to use my AIM).

Kat said...

Thanks for your return, Andy! I've been missing you greatly!