Sunday, December 14, 2008

Read all about it!



Today marks the official end of a nearly two-year project documenting a Nicholasville couple, Mike and Rebecca Haake, and their journey to adopt a special-needs child from Haiti. It has been a long process but an incredibly rewarding one. I have a new respect for parents in general, but particularly for people like Mike and Rebecca who choose to show Christ's love by welcoming into their family special kids like Kerwin who demand extra attention.

My special thanks to the Haakes and my wonderful wife, Erika - all of whom were gracious and generous with me beyond what I deserve.

And thanks also to my great editors at the Herald-Leader, for fighting to give this story so much space (three straight days on A1 with large inside spreads) in a time when newspapers cannot afford to do so.

You can check out the first of the three-part series here. To really get the whole story and see a lot more images, be sure to click the link to the multimedia galleries in the stories, or here.

1 comment:

Cydil said...

Andy, you did a fabulous job. Not only documenting their experience (which will be a treasure to Kerwin as he grows older) but expressing so much more. Even though I know how the story ends (having followed their blog through their experience), I can't wait to read 'the rest of the story' through your words and images! Thanks for sharing your talents in this way!